LizKauai

Personal blog of Liz from Kauai.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A pain in the ...

Plantar fasciitis, formerly called "a dog's heel" in the United Kingdom, sometimes known as "flip-flop disease" among US podiatrists, is a painful inflammatory condition caused by excessive wear to the plantar fascia of the foot or biomechanical faults that cause abnormal pronation of the foot.

Translation: Oweee!

So, here are my plantars... resting from a visit to my wonderful podiatrist. You may notice the bandaids.
If you have ever had to have your wisdom teeth removed, perhaps a wise friend suggested that you do them all at one time.
If you ever find yourself with plantar fasciitis, I am here to be your wise friend.

Yes, it is painful. First thing in the morning, I have learned to find my Crocs slides in the dark. Barefoot is no longer a possibility. My greatest agony is showering and tomorrow morning I may have rolls of hand towels in the tub for arch support.

So, understanding that this foot condition leads to migraine headaches, extra visits to the chiropractor, doses of Advil and sore arms from using shopping carts like walkers, one will pay attention when the podiatrist suggests a steroid shot. (Even if one shuns the use of medications and has bad memories of prednisone when one was suffering from asthma.)

So...it is covered by my health insurance? Ok... what the heck. It's gotta be better than this...

A spritz of ethyl chloride leaves a cool, tingling sensation on the foot. and then ...

WARNING, WARNING!

Think of the worst nurse you ever had, armed with a 14 guage IV needle, searching for a vein in your hand. Then think of the time it takes to draw 3 tubes of blood for testing. Now think of the aching, creeping, burning feeling you got from the worst tetanus shot experience you ever had.

Put all of those experiences in your memory and increase the intensity of pain 10 fold for women and 20 fold for men.

That is what it feels like. And then they have to do the OTHER foot (if you have it in both feet like I do).

Doc said I did very well. He is used to being sworn at and worse.

Then there is the warning - it might feel worse before it feels better.

So I decided to feel better sooner than later. Ukuleleboi and I went out to dinner at TipTop before driving home.

Sorry, we ate the uni and softshell crab sushi before I thought of taking a picture. U-boi tried the uni for the first time and ate his share. (I was craving sea urchin when I was pregnant with him, so that is not surprising.)

He had short ribs and I had oyaku donburi. Delicious.
I actually ate only 1/2 of my Donburi and left some room for dessert
green tea ice cream.

2 Comments:

Blogger brew808 said...

Oh wait - now is this a photo of the peasant woman's feet/ankles?

Great make-up job! :-)

June 4, 2008 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Lizkauai said...

Refresh and keep reading...

June 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home