LizKauai

Personal blog of Liz from Kauai.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Palu goes to the Vet

We have had our cats since the great rodent invasion from a few years back. That year, the drought conditions drove wild mice and rats into the neighborhoods and our stores couldn't keep up with the demand on rodent traps or poison. That's when I decided it was time to risk allergies and get cats.

We got Squeaky from the Humane Society first. I wanted to name him Diego after the character in Ice Age... but his little mew defied that appellation.

"He" was a sweetheart but had a bit of a laissez faire attitude about the rodents. So he and I went back to find him a girlfriend who might be a little more serious about hunting.

After interviewing a few candidates, he chose a kinda shy but sweet teenager which my son Stevo called "Palu" because the patterns of her colors resembled the chum I used to make up for fishing (really!).

We actually just call her "kitty" but when the vet's office asked for a name- that's the only thing I could think of. So anyway, unlike the affable, Garfieldian Squeaky, Palu is skittish, likes to have 4 feet on the ground and has a few effective hiding places. When it was time to go for a vet check, she eluded her potential captors and Squeaky went solo.

I made an appointment for her yesterday and set about trying to capture her during her favorite activities- eating and hanging out with me in the bathroom after I shower. I was unsuccessful. But #3 son followed her to her hiding place, climbed furniture and got her into "kitten-carry" position and successfully deposited her into a pet carrier.
 
The checkups for both cats gave them clean bills of health - no diseases, no fleas and no worms. Oh yeah, no rodents and fewer geckos too. Yea!



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although we have 2 traps, I should get a pet carrier, too. Mine are outdoor cats, and sometimes don't show up for their feedings. One has been neutered, the other one not. Time to go to the vet if I can catch that darn cat!

January 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home