LizKauai

Personal blog of Liz from Kauai.

Friday, July 24, 2009

You Have Diabetes

Hmmm. What a difference a year makes.
So I have a new primary care physician. She is leaving no platelet unturned. The good news is that I have 6 months to drop 17 lbs and get my cholesterol and all the other stuff in balance before she starts buggin me about pills and such. The bad news is that I have to start poking my fingers with needles and take readings.

Since this is probably a common problem for us baby boomers, I'll share with you what I am doing- for better or worse.

Day 1 (today) - took a bag of long-grained brown rice to work and cooked it up in the microwave to have with homemade cucumber/yogurt/dill salad and leftover grilled eggplant and zucchini. Noted that I did not feel sleepy after lunch today!

Went shopping at Star Market in Lihue where they carry stuff like kale and collard greens for $5/bunch (egads!) and all kinds of Indian food in cans and packages. Also got some boxed quinoa and quinoa or brown rice pasta. Note to self: time to start that hydroponics garden to grow our own greens.
 
Here is my collection of new foods to try- veggies must have flavor, after all! The greens are collards and kale.
I also got a spaghetti squash and some sweet potatoes for variety and snacks.

My son Byron said he would eat what I ate so I made enough for both of us plus lunch tomorrow. I sautee'd some  chicken in olive oil, seasoned salt and curry powder for taste. Then cooked the chopped greens down in a little water and topped with the can of Delhi Saag to heat it up.

Oops- forgot to set the macro- this is a blurry side of cucumber yogurt salad.

Tomorrow I am starting the day with Coach's Oats. Breakfast of champs!


10 Comments:

Anonymous gigi-hawaii said...

Sounds delicious! I would try your canned goods, but they sound too exotic for me. (Fear of the unknown) I really should eat more veggies, though.

I just finished writing a blog entry to be posted tomorrow morning. It is about my lab scores for blood work done this month. Good news! Despite being overweight, I am not diabetic and I do not have heart disease.

Lisa says I am a ticking time bomb because I am addicted to food and don't exercise...

July 24, 2009 at 7:07 AM  
Anonymous wafan said...

Hi!

Looks like you are off to a good start. The thing is you should not panic. Just have to take bad foods in smaller doses -- but there is still a lot of great tasting food out there to be enjoyed!

Good luck with your plans for weight loss -- seems the best I can do is keep it in check, for the most part.

July 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM  
Anonymous wafan said...

Watch out for canned foods -- lots of sodium!

Best way is to prepare your own foods with very little canned stuff. The other thing to watch for is local foods -- lots and lots of carbs! Oh my, my sugar goes crazy but settles right down back at home where I do my own cooking and the temptation is gone.

July 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Lizkauai said...

Thanks for the feedback! No worries. Taking it slowly. The canned foods accompany fresh veggies to add flavor.

July 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good start mate, my experience with trying to simplify the diet thing is to eat as much as possible raw, choose low fat and grow your own where you can. One of my standby low impact breakfasts when I really need to start the day lite, is sprouted buckwheat with some warmed vamilla soy milk and diced raw fruit. A little soy yogurt makes it creamy if you like that. Good luck fellow babyboomer!

July 24, 2009 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As with any life-changing event, it is what you make it. I see you have a positive outlook and are being proactive. Good luck to you in your quest to manage your health. My mom has had Type 2 diabetes for over 20 years, manages her diet and weight and stays off pills. You can do it! Aloha.

July 25, 2009 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Lizkauai said...

Mahalo for the encouragement, guys!
Today started with a small papaya from our tree (pause) Coach's Oats (love that stuff) and soy milk, and then an Americano with a touch of raw sugar and a bit of 1/2 and 1/2. some habits need to be phased down slowly ;-)

July 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM  
Anonymous wafan said...

How did you and Aaron do last night?

July 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, tory burch outlet, nike shoes, kate spade outlet, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, prada handbags, louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, true religion jeans, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion jeans, longchamp handbags, gucci outlet, louboutin, jordan shoes, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton handbags, louboutin, tiffany and co, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet, kate spade handbags, coach factory outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, coach outlet store online, chanel handbags, air max, nike free

November 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, herve leger, lululemon outlet, canada goose jackets, nfl jerseys, canada goose, babyliss pro, mcm handbags, canada goose, canada goose uk, ugg australia, ghd, giuseppe zanotti, longchamp, uggs outlet, ferragamo shoes, nike huarache, canada goose outlet, north face outlet, soccer jerseys, celine handbags, hollister, ugg, bottega veneta, instyler, mont blanc, valentino shoes, jimmy choo outlet, insanity workout, canada goose, marc jacobs, ugg boots, ugg boots, new balance shoes, reebok outlet, abercrombie and fitch, beats by dre, chi flat iron, asics running shoes, nike roshe run, rolex watches, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, north face jackets, vans shoes, ugg pas cher, p90x, birkin bag

November 7, 2014 at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home