LizKauai

Personal blog of Liz from Kauai.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Home Improvement

 
 It sure is hot! Time to add another ceiling fan. Our friend Terry is giving us a hand. We have open beam ceilings and an open stairway leading down to the front door so AC is not an option. There is a solar roof fan already in place so the new ceiling fan will help pull hot air up and out. At least that is the plan.

Today we are a little closer to the fan installation. The fasteners that came with the fan are not very good so we have to wait another day. On another note, the electrical inspector came today and approved the photovoltaic installation. Net metering, here we come!
Oh yeah, today I visited with two dieticians and I am on a totally reversed diet. Instead of no red meat, shellfish, etc. because of my cholesterol, I am now on a modified South Beach diet for 2 weeks to re-regulate my insulin. No carbs, no fruit or sugars, just, you guessed it, veggies, lean MEAT and seafood and lots of eggs! I made salmon patties and veggies last night for dinner.

+++

WARNING- the next part has graphic images of blood...

+++

OK. So if you are like me and know jack about testing for blood sugar, here is blood testing 101.

 
I got the mini tester. It comes in a cute pouch along with the finger poker (I'm sure there is an official name for it but let's just be real... it pokes.), test stripes and "lancettes" - the pokey things.

The lancette is inserted into the poker (which is not unlike the trigger I used to set off some explosives on a construction site recently) and the test strip is loaded into the tester. Now I press the trigger and poke my finger.

Note to self- this is not enough blood for the test. I need twice as much. Dang- reload strip, cock the poker and fire again. Ok. Now introduce the blood to the tester. Hmm. 132 - one point higher than my fasting baseline this morning of 131. Is that good? Hey- the clock is off by one hour. Oh well.
And there you have it.
Now I need to do 30 minutes on my Wii Fit and hit the sack!


3 Comments:

Anonymous gigi-hawaii said...

Liz, my sister-in-law is a diabetic and must test too. However, since she is a pharmacist and must type labels all day, she pokes her upper arm instead of her fingers (which would be too sensitive when she types).

Good luck with the special diet. I could never do without carbs.

August 5, 2009 at 7:13 AM  
Anonymous wafan said...

Good luck with the special diet!!! I am sure your doc is watching your cholesterol carefully -- especially with all the red meat.

Funny thing about being diabetic you can eat just about anything in vast quantities except for carbohydrates. And, veggies do help to lower blood sugar! Eat your veggies every day with oil and vinegar dressing (lower calories) on the side.

August 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Lizkauai said...

Thanks for all the good tips!

August 5, 2009 at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home